Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mr. President, you dress like a girl...and throw like one.

So I don't know how many of you watched the MLB All Star game last week, but our commander in chief was set to throw out the first pitch, sadly, I think he showed up to the wrong game as US men’s ASA slow pitch team was playing Canada this weekend. But more interesting than the state of the economy, or the high rate of unemployment that is sweeping over the country, Obamas' choice of clothing is more important to questionable new agencies. His mommy jeans were almost as interesting as him bouncing the first pitch. I guess he's apparently good at picking out the winner of the NCAA basketball tournament, but terrible at Americas' favorite pastime. Growing up, there was little doubt that I would have been the subject of many a swirly or lost my lunch most days of the week if I had thrown like Obama did last week to Albert Pujols, but hey; in this day in age in the government we live in, what does it matter who votes for what, or who throws like a girl wearing his mommies jeans. While I'm not an expert on fashion, as I'm a jeans and a t-shirt kind of guy, I wonder at the audacity of some "news" agency making his choice of clothing to be a major item. Why wasn't the author wondering why he had time for a ballgame when the Democrats were rushing a Trillion dollar bill to his desk before the August recess? Why wasn't there any clamoring over his nose-dive in the public polls? Apparently the public seems more in-tune with something so trivial, and not with major issues. Hey America, they're just jeans!

1 comment:

  1. In the blog post, "Mr. President, you dress like a girl...and throw like one," my colleague denounces select news sources for focusing on President Obama's attire when he threw the first pitch in the MLB All-Star Game. My initial reaction was complete concurrence, as very few things make me sicker than major news coverage of petty matters, especially when there are more weighty issues at hand. However, there's a difference between major coverage and minor, 30-second clips noting a peculiar event of the day. The news coverage of the president's pitch is hardly major coverage in comparison to the seemingly infinite stream of Anna Nicole Smith reports or the recent, abounding coverage on Michael Jackson's death. When it reaches that kind of calibur, then start complaining about wasted media resources; otherwise, I don't mind a few seconds to watch the president throw like a "girl wearing his mommies jeans."

    Not only does my colleague criticize the media for concentrating on President Obama's jeans, but he compounds his argument by reprimanding the media for not expounding the fact that he could be better spending his time trying to help our economy and the ensuing unemployment rate. I'm sorry, but I honestly don't think that taking a day off to watch a baseball game with Michelle and the kids is going to detrimentally affect the state of our nation's economy. We didn't elect a robot into the Oval Office.

    ReplyDelete